Born Tuesday, August 9, 2011 at 1:14 PM
3.62 kg (8.0 pounds)
53 cm (20.9 inches)
More to follow after I get some more sleep and Mike and I figure out which way is up (so maybe you should check back in a couple of years). But in brief:
- Mother and baby are both well.
- After being very skeptical about whether I was capable of natural childbirth, I surprised myself by making it through the eleven and a half hours of labour and delivery without any pain relief.
- Dominic surprised me by coming out with one hand up beside his head – a surprise that has granted me an unhappy number of stitches.
- I still think marsupials and birds have it all over mammals in the birthing department, but my body has surprised me by what it is capable of enduring and how quickly it can transition from “incubator” to “milk factory”.
- Mike has not surprised me – he’s been calm, supportive, enthusiastic, and capable during and after the birth. For this, and for many other things, I am extraordinarily grateful.